Saturday, April 20, 2013

London: A Look Back / Why I Love My Life

My two week “ski break” vacation was not over yet with the flight out of Reykjavík.  I was headed for a 10 day stay in London, one of the 5 places I’ve at some point called my home.  Fun fact: strangely enough, all of the cities I’ve lived in outside of the States start with the letter “L” (Lille, London, Lyon).

The last time I was in London was mid-January of last year, 2012, when I was finishing up my second semester of studying abroad.  That semester was kind of a “why not?” experience; since I added my degree in philosophy I knew I’d be in school for at least 4.5 years, so to even it off I decided to go abroad again and graduate in 5 years.  Choosing London was an easy, straight-forward decision for me, but only because I’d already been in France for a semester.  This is where I get kind of judgy of other study abroad students.  For me, studying abroad is about being immersed in a culture completely different from your own (having to acclimate/struggle to make your way in a new language and society), so, while France isn’t the most culture shocking country I could’ve chosen (it was important, however, for my studies, and let’s be real, Sundays in France are annoying to say the least), I still think choosing Anglophone countries is kind of a cop-out.  I do, however, give props to everyone who even makes the effort to leave the States for any amount of time, and yes England is different in its own ways, but I think people could push themselves a bit further when it comes to studying abroad.  Basically studying abroad comes down to what you think is most important from such an experience: partying and not having to work too hard in the same language, or struggling every day with a new linguistic or cultural situation which is frustrating but in the end rewarding (or some variation of these).  This is mostly the language/culture geek in me speaking, because I think such an experience is really important for self-realization and learning more about the world, but really, if you have the opportunity, take advantage of it!

Okay, judging done.  I really do love the UK, so now I’ll explain why I chose it.  So since I’d already had my dose of trying to swim my way through the big ocean of French bureaucracy, I decided to go somewhere I knew I’d just have a really awesome, relatively easy time.  I decided to take the trip for me, without feeling guilty about not choosing a really exotic place, because I do, after all, really love British culture.  As I said, London was an obvious choice, and not only because of the fact that they speak English there or because I was limited to a certain amount of programs because of financial reasons.  I’ve also always wanted to see what life is like in a major world city, either London or Paris (life goal: to live in each of them at some point).  I think one of the biggest reasons I went to London was the music scene (indie/folk/punk/modern/oldies), a theme which will show up later on in this post, as well as the fact that I enjoy a lot of British tv and movies.  For a period in high school and early college I really only listened to British indie.  I can’t really explain why.  It was just always better, and there was a scene forming around London in which all my favorite groups somehow had a connection to each other and these bands hardly came stateside.  I knew I had to go and experience it for myself, a place where people knew what bands and tv shows and movies and actors I was talking about... ah yes, I’d fit right in.

Last year wasn’t the first time I’d been to London or even the UK (I’d been to Scotland on a few occasions with friends or to visit friends, and to London while I was on my first study abroad trip), so my arrival last year was really not a huge eye-opener.  It was nice arriving in a place that was so familiar already, allowing me to profit from being a non-tourist right away.  I was also living in very central London (literally 1 minute from Waterloo station and the South Bank) which was most convenient.  I definitely made the most of my time there; I saw a lot, went to some plays, went to a lot of concerts, went out a lot, made a lot of awesome friends, traveled a lot, visited or was visited by a lot of my friends in Europe, learned some philosophy, and really felt like a local in the end (as you should when you study abroad!). 

Surprisingly though, I didn’t cry when I left London, unlike the time I left Lille.  It was a completely different farewell.  By this point in my life I’d already done what I thought was the impossible: seeing so many different countries and cities and small towns, visiting my European friends I met in America wherever they live in Europe, having Americans come visit me, visiting Americans where they live abroad in Europe, etc.  Basically the world had shrunk for me.  There’s no longer any such thing as “impossible.”  This goes hand in hand with my feelings on traveling: get out there and do it while you can because the “when I’m older” excuse really turns into “never.”  The world is only as big, scary and daunting as you let it be.  Even when I left Lille I thought I’d never see some people again because I was still in the mindset of “this is a unique, once in a lifetime chance to be abroad” and “America is way on the other side of the world!” and I couldn’t foresee my future, of course.  This may be true for some people or casual acquaintances, but having made many international friendships over the past 5 or so years, I know that with a little effort seeing each other again is not impossible.  You really just need to get your priorities straight.  If you don’t travel now but say you wish you could, yet you do something else, then obviously you have other priorities.  Mine for example revolve around my friends, family and traveling and I’ve put a lot of effort into traveling to see friends and family.  My lifestyle isn’t impossible, I just have to make it possible, with the one obvious hindrance being finances of course, making my travels less frequent than I'd like but still existent.  So I left London not with a teary, woeful goodbye, but rather a “see you soon,” knowing I’d be back because it was important to me.

I was originally going to make this post about my revisit to London, but I think it'd be kind of nice to have a separate post looking back at some of the highlights from my semester because I didn't blog back then:
Afternoon Tea at the National Portrait Gallery with a view of Trafalgar Square
Seeing Doctor Faustus at The Globe
Stonehenge
Eating Nando's with the best people.
Camden!!
This Mexican restaurant in Greenwich whose delicious food always prevented me from making it to the Prime Meridian at the Observatory on time. (With Marta from Spain/friend from MU)

Visiting Deanie in Cambridge:




Celebrating THE birthday week of a lifetime with some very dear friends who came from near and far to be there (taking a quick trip to Cambridge to visit Deanie for a Harry Potter themed dinner, sharing my small room with some of my best friends, eating a very posh birthday meal on the OXO Tower garden terrace, some great nights out, visiting the Doctor Who Experience).  Deanie (high school friend) from Cambridge.  Tom (Marquette/study abroad in Lille friend) from Calais.  Sadie (study abroad in Lille friend) from Lyon.  And of course, all my great friends in London. =)

Managing to house these three in my single-bed room for several nights when we were only allowed one guest.
Surprised with a caterpillar cake!
The Doctor Who Experience!!

My lovely trip to visit friends in Paris:
Alex, me and Georges
Me, Melanie and Courtney
Mes polonaises! Monika and Anna
Winning tickets to see Noel Gallagher for free at BBC Radio Studios (300 pers. theater)

My fabulous trip to Salzburg to visit my favorite Austrians:
Lukas!
One of my favorite pictures I've ever taken
Hanging out in the clouds above Salzburg with Tasha.
Lukas & Andi

Celebrating Thanksgiving in London with Leslie at Gordon Ramsay restaurant The Narrow:
 

Then celebrating it with Tom in a little French farmhouse outside of Calais:
 

Going back to Lille with Tom:



Visiting Sadie in Lyon for her birthday (and seeing some of my first Fete des Lumieres)!!:

Winning tickets (again) to be part of the crowd for the BBC's Top of the Pops Christmas Special taping where we saw Example, Emeli Sande+Professor Green, and Will Young perform live
My trip to Frankfurt to visit my German friend Nina:
On Eiserner Steg listening to "Eiserner Steg" <3



Celebrating Christmas in London with Anna who came to visit (Harrod's ice cream and Christmas shopping, Windsor Castle, Christmas mass at Westminster Abbey, Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, Christmas dinner with Union Jack Christmas crackers and a Yule Log cake, Charles Dickens Christmas Day walking tour):
 

Decorating my room to get in the Christmas spirit:



Going to Edinburgh for New Year's/ Edinburgh's Hogmanay with Deanie and Anna:
The Torchlight Procession to Calton Hill on Dec. 30th.
Singing "Auld Lang Syne" in Scotland at the Princes St. Street Party on New Year's Eve with my best friends = love
Climbing Arthur's Seat and having champagne on New Year's Day

Long morning train back to London, packing my life back up into two suitcases (with the help of Anna + Deanie), then heading to Paris the next morning:

Paris!!:
Having a crepe with Alex

And finally, lots and lots of awesome concerts and club nights.


My semester in London was hands down the best semester of my undergraduate studies.  I saw old friends, made new friends, traveled a lot (even visited my first home abroad: Lille!), and enjoyed London and England to the fullest.  It was the perfect formula for happiness.  I honestly don't think there's anything I would've done differently.  No regrets.  London is a place that holds many precious memories for me and going back this February was a great trip down memory lane as well as a really fun week+ full of new memories and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment